Getting the best out of your uglies
Best Experience: is consuming a hot one directly from the oven at ‘Best Ugly’ HQ Cnr Wellesley and Nelson St Auck, York St in Newmarket or Swan Lane in Wellington.
Best Toasted: which brings back the chewy inside texture and creates a crisp outer.
Best kept in an airtight container or plastic bag, Best Ugly Bagels will toast up a treat for 4 or 5 days after purchase.
Best Ugly Bagels like to be frozen. Best to slice them first.
Working with the best
Some of our ‘Best Ugly’ extended family … the producers and products that we covet, admire and respect:
Marsh's Clover Honey (Ettrick Central Otago)... Clover Honey
Karl Campbell (Wellington)... Pastrami, our own recipe
Produce Company (Auckland)... Produce
Mauri New Zealand (Auckland)... Flour
Good Joe Coffee (Auckland)... Coffee
Zany Zeus (Wellington)... Cream Cheese, Feta, Ricotta
Village Press (HB) and Al Brown... Olive oils
Try these at home - always toasted
- Sesame Bagel w/ A Schmear Of Cream Cheese
- Cream Cheese, Salmon Lox, Red Onion, Capers & fresh Dill
- Hot Mustard, Pastrami and Swiss Cheese Melt
- Smoked Fish, Wasabi, Fresh Basil & Cream Fraiche
- Bacon and Egg w/ Rocket Sauce
- Butter w/ Best Ugly Nutella
- Tomato, Avocado, Fresh Basil, Olive Oil
- Poached Chicken, Mayo, Almond Slithers and Fresh Tarragon
- Pic’s Peanut Butter and Te Horo Raspberry Jam
- Toasted w/ Garlic Humus
- Jalapeno Kingfish Melt w/ Cheddar
- Curried Egg and Chive
- Coronation Chicken and Rocket.
- Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Watercress
- White Anchovy, Pickled Pepperdew’s, and Pesto
- Cinnamon and Raisin Bagel with Maple Cinnamon Butter
- Cream Cheese w/ Black Olive Tapenade
- Mouse Trap – Marmite and Cheddar Cheese
- Mashed White Beans w/ Sautéed Chorizo and Olive Oil
- Garlic Confit w/ Roasted Fennel Bulb